Hi, my name is Grace.
I am a software engineer at Riot Games. I joined in January 2020, and also interned the year before in the summer of 2019. I am currently a software engineer on the Gateway team in Esports Digital, and in June 2021 I will be moving to VALORANT’s Social and Player Dynamics team. I studied computer science with a minor in mathematical sciences at Carnegie Mellon University, and graduated December 2019. Hopefully out to do good in this world.
Why does this place exist?
This is taken from Manuel Blum’s Advice to a Beginning Graduate Student:
You are all computer scientists.
You know what FINITE AUTOMATA can do.
You know what TURING MACHINES can do.
For example, Finite Automata can add but not multiply.
Turing Machines can compute any computable function.
Turing Machines are incredibly more powerful than Finite Automata.
Yet the only difference between a FA and a TM is that the TM, unlike the FA, has paper and pencil.
Think about it.
It tells you something about the power of writing.
Without writing, you are reduced to a finite automaton.
With writing you have the extraordinary power of a Turing machine.
And here is a quote from John Shaw Billings that he shares:
First have something to say,
Second say it,
Third stop when you have said it, and
Finally give it an accurate title.”
I’ve always loved writing. So there’s a very personal reason why this place exists, which is for my own enjoyment. But there’s also some things that I like to believe I have to say, and perhaps some people out there who might find it mildly valuable. And while I still have that feeling, I’ll keep this place alive.
Current Goals (last updated 01/03/2021)
- Complete the 100 Days of Code challenge
- Read 12 books
- Finished: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (sometime in October 2019).
- Finished: The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin (sometime in November 2019).
- Finished: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (11/28/2019).
- Finished: Algorithms to Live By Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths (12/30/2020).
- Exercise regularly
- Produce more content (posting on my hobby Instagram, making more videos, writing more posts and write-ups)
- Gaming (StarCraft, League of Legends, VALORANT?)
- Functional programming
- Machine learning
- Computer systems
- Drawing (sketching, watercolor, acrylic, charcoal)
- Water rights and the environment (read The Ripple Effect by Alex Prud’Homme)
- Reading (book reviews incoming, hopefully)
- Saving the web
- Trying to become an informed citizen of the world
The image used as an icon is my Chinese name painted by my grandmother before she passed away. She did Chinese calligraphy, and I asked her to write my name. This was before her illness worsened, but you can already see the tremors seeping into her strokes.
The image used in the homepage jumbotron is made by David Jin, a very talented friend of mine.